Thursday, October 28, 2010

I should really be updating my own blog...hahaha!

Hey Kelsey!
Hope things are going well for ya! Since I have been TERRIBLE about updating my blog in the last, say 2 or so months, I'm due for some great information to give you!! Haha. Not exactly the case actually...
My life has returned to normal to be quite honest. I've started my internship at an outpatient clinic and am living with my grandparents. No more time off from school, no more breaks - it's go go go all the time. Crazy, really. The clinic sees patients constantly, nothing like places I've been to or observed in. It's a slow day when there are less than 6 people in the gym at one time, if you have less than 20 patients on your schedule or if you have time to breathe. ;)
All that to say that I LOVE the clinic that I'm working at. Yes, it's busy. Yes, my whole body typically hurts by the end of the day. But the people that I work with are so much fun. They are hilarious, fun-loving, joyful people who truly love helping people - plus a majority of them love Jesus!! It's been great. I'm exhausted nearly all the time, but this is the type of place I could definitely work at once I'm free from school.
The hardest part of the job...seeing all these people hurting and many who have serious health problems. There are so many people who are overweight and have back problems due to that...usually major back issues like ruptured discs and degenerative changes in the spine...things PTs cannot actually fix. We can only provide exercises and treatment to make them comfortable and decrease the pain as much as possible. Some days it gets to me more than others. Today was one of those days. I was watching a PT perform wound debridement on someone who had stage-4 cancer. The spouse was telling me about their kids and the treatment that the person was going through. I nearly started crying. It just broke my heart hearing about the couple, and it was so sweet that they came to the clinic together. The spouse would clean the wound a couple of times a day when they weren't coming to the clinic. There have been other times where I want to go easy on a patient because I know they are in pain, but I know that ultimately, the pain is a necessary evil in order for them to get stronger and gain motion and get back to normal function. It's hard to watch people in pain everyday and see that what you have them do increases that pain.
The payoff to that is that we get to see them through the awful, the bad, the ok, the good, and the great. :) Spending so much time with these people and working with them until their pain becomes non-existent - that's what makes it worth it all. I think being able to work in the atmosphere that I am in is a huge encouragement as well!
Anyway, there's a glimpse into my life now that I'm back on track!! I'm off to bed now to hopefully get a few more hours of sleep tonight. :D

Love you, KK!! Take care of yourself there in Prague!

Kpax

No comments:

Post a Comment