Thursday, February 25, 2010

Encourage

Dearest Kelsey,

Oh, how I miss you. I did a little move the other day with my arms switch back and forth and had my legs bent at the knees and moved my shoulders just a tad and I went, “Oh, Kelsey Keizer.” And Lauren agreed. :) I’m glad you’ve rubbed off on me…or at least some of your mannerisms. Also, I've loved the Olympics. I haven't had a chance to watch too much of it (that's probably good for me so it doesn't become an idol!) but I'm thankful for getting to see some of it! I wish you were here. I remember when, at School Street, we watched the 2008 Summer Olympics :)


Now on to more important things...

I’ve told some people this, but I recently read through Hebrews. God was really doing some work in my heart because what I read clearly transferred over to how I live my life. And maybe you can do the same!

“See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.” Hebrews 3:12-13

The way I read it was, if I don’t encourage not only myself through God’s word but to encourage others, then the devil can really infiltrate our thought life. This obviously is disastrous. The sin that Satan so desperately wants us to listen to are the lies like “No one really loves you” or “That person is so much better than you” or “Why does that guy/girl have that thing that you want.” Such lies! Geez! And we deal with this everyday. But thank God that He sent Jesus to pay for those lies that I so easily listen to and separates me from a relationship with Him that is now restored. However, I can combat it by encouraging myself through putting on the armor of God and by reading and through prayer and by being in fellowship. So instead of listening to that sin, reverse it by doing a little Philippians 4:8 action. Think about things that are: true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, praiseworthy.

And if we want to be the type of Christian that actually does what the Word says and not just be a hearer of the Word (James 1:22), we need to practice those objectives of thinking such things, not only of ourselves but of others.

Therefore, instead of the deceiving word of sin that the devil tempts us with, we need to know and believe and trust who each of us as brothers and sisters in Christ truly is and encourage one another by letting them know.

I’ve been trying to practice this once or twice every two or so weeks. Just write a little note of encouragement and exhortation to someone and let them know how they are appreciated and loved. It does wonders.

“Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. (ESV says ‘Outdo one another in showing honor.’) Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:9-12

I miss you and love you,

Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment